Roasting the butternut squash brings out the inherent sweetness of the squash and the roasted shiitake mushrooms are almost crisp and chewy. The addition of aromatic rosemary and garlic gives added flavor to the vegetables Set on a bed of soft lettuce this is a truly delectable salad. Would make a good addition to a Thanksgiving meal.
|Butternut squash and shiitake mushroom salad|
2 cups shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and halved or quartered depending on size
3 small shallots, sliced - rings separated
2 large cloves of garlic, finely minced
3 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely minced
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cups soft salad leaves like butterhead, red oak, green leaf or a mix of the same, torn into bite size pieces
1/2 tablespoon good quality balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Toss the butternut squash with 1 tablespoon extra virgin oil, 1/2 the minced garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoons minced rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Lay them out in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes turning them halfway through the roasting. The butternut squash will have very lightly caramelized edges and it will be fork tender.
- Similarly toss the shiitake mushrooms with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, the remaining minced garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoon minced rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of black pepper and place them in a single layer on another baking sheet. Roast for about 20 minutes till the mushrooms are cooked and a little crisp, but not like chips.
- After the squash and mushrooms are roasted reduce the oven temperature to 400 F. Toss the shallot rings with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and lay them out in a single layer on another baking sheet. Cook for about 6 to 8 minutes till they are brown but not burnt. (They do burn pretty easily).
- Make a dressing by whisking the balsamic vinegar, and olive oil, with the dijon mustard and salt. Toss the lettuce with the dressing and then mix in the roasted butternut squash and the shiitake mushrooms.
- Serve on a large platter sprinkled with with roasted shallots.
Serves 2 to 3.