Shrimp with leeks and thyme

It has been a while since I posted something that I cooked for myself. Shrimp is my most favorite shellfish and I tend to eat it a lot. Growing up for me, shrimp was to vegetables as bacon is to vegetables. My mom would manage to feed me any vegetable as long as there was chopped up shrimp pieces. A lot has changed since then - my love for vegetables has grown exponentially and my love for shrimp continues to exist.

Today I sauteed the shrimp with some leeks, garlic, fresh green chili and thyme. It was extremely quick - another reason why I like to cook and eat shrimp. The combination of leeks and thyme is very light and fragrant. With a splash of lemon juice to finish, it was heavenly. It tastes great over steamed rice, pasta, couscous or quinoa. And I bet depending on what you pair it up with it will be a new dish. I had it with steamed rice - my favorite carb.

Shrimp with Leeks and Thyme
6 oz peeled and de-veined shrimp, thawed if frozen [I used 26 to 30 count / lb]
1 large leek, white part only
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh garlic, about 2 cloves
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon fresh green chili thinly sliced [optional]
1 teaspoon fresh red chili, seeded thinly sliced
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 to 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

  1. Clean the leek and cut them into 1 1/2 inch long pieces - then cut the pieces lengthwise into thin strips or julienne. [This gives the dish a noodles with shrimp effect]
  2. Heat a 10 inch heavy bottomed skillet with olive oil over medium high heat. Add the leeks and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chili's and continue to cook over medium heat till the leeks have softened but not brown. 
  3. At this point dry the shrimp with a paper towel and add it to the leek mixture along with the thyme. Cook the shrimps for 2 to 3 minutes on each side (depending on the size of the shrimp). When the shrimp is pink it is ready. [Overcooking will toughen the shrimp].
  4. Serve with your carb of choice.
Serves 1

Comments

Popular Posts