If you are in the NY/NJ area, look for the Dream Greens brand of baby greens. I bought mine at Freshdirect and fell in love with their quality.
|Pearl barley salad with watercress, radish, asparagus, sugar snap peas and feta|
2.5 oz baby watercress leaves
3 red radish, thinly sliced
6 thick asparagus spears
1 cup sugar snap peas
2 tablespoons capers in brine
3.5 oz Greek feta cheese, crumbled
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/3 teaspoon grated garlic (use the microplane)
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the barley as per the instructions on the packet. I cooked mine in salted water for 30 minutes and it was cooked and chewy. Drain the excess water and cool in the serving dish.
- Bring another pot of water to a boil. While the water is boiling, trim the asparagus and chop into 1/2 inch piece leaving the tips whole. Once the water comes to a boil, add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and cook the asparagus in the boiling water uncovered for 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to the cooked barley.
- Bring the same pot of water to a boil again and add the sugar snap peas. Cook for 3 minutes and remove with a slotted spoon and add to the barley and asparagus mixture.
- Once everything has cooled, add the capers, radish and feta cheese and mix well.
- Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients for the dressing and add to the salad tossing to coat all the ingredients with the dressing.
- Finally add the delicate water cress leaves and mix gently.