2 cups peeled and chopped kabocha squash
One medium bunch of Tuscan kale (about 8 large leaves)
1/4 cup roasted salted pecans
4 oz fresh goat cheese
Dried chili flakes or freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Toss the squash cubes with about a tablespoon of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and spread on a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven and roast for 30 minutes till they are soft enough to mash. When cool, mash with a fork and set aside.
- Now raise the temperature of the oven to 500 F. Place the pizza stone in the middle rack when the oven temperature reaches 500 and preheat for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, remove the ribs from the kale leaves and blanch them in boiling hot salted water for 4 minutes. Drain well and chop roughly and set aside.
- Spread the pizza dough by hand or roll it on a lightly floured surface till it is about 1/4 inch thick. If the dough is bouncing back, let it rest for 5 minutes and continue to roll. Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and start assembling the pizza. Spread the mashed kabocha squash on the spread out dough. Top with the chopped kale, crumbled goat cheese, and chopped pecans. If you like your pizza spicy, sprinkle a pinch of dried chili flakes otherwise some freshly ground black pepper.
- Transfer the parchment paper with the assembled pizza to the pizza stone using a peel. If you don't have a peel, slide the parchment on to a large cutting board or a crisper and gently slide the pizza to the hot stone. Reduce the oven temperature to 450 F. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove the pizza with the parchment to a cutting board. Slice and serve.
Makes two individual pies.