|Zucchini blossom frittata|
|Zucchini Blossom frittata|
Equipment: 10 inch heavy bottomed skillet with a tight fitting lid.
8 zucchini blossoms
3 large organic eggs
3 tablespoon low fat milk
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup finely chopped leeks (white parts only)
1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Remove the pistils from the blossoms and slice them across into 1/4 inch pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the skillet over medium high heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the leeks and garlic and reduce the heat to medium. Cook over medium heat till the leeks have softened - they should not burn and turn brown.
- In the meantime, beat the eggs with milk, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Once the leeks are cooked, remove from the pan and add it to the beaten eggs. Mix well.
- Place the same pan over medium heat with 1 teaspoon olive oil. When the pan is hot, pour in the leek and egg mixture stir with a rubber spatula for 3 to 4 minutes till the eggs are almost set. Then spread the grated cheeses and the zucchini blossoms evenly over the eggs and cover the pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat till the cheese melts.
- Slide onto a cutting board. Let it rest for a couple of minute and then cut into wedges and serve.