I have tried the apple sauce trick in a ginger apple cookie from Vegetarian Times, but these oatmeal cookies are in a different league.
|Oatmeal Raisin Pecan cookies|
Adapted from Perfect Light Desserts: Fabulous Cakes, Cookies, Pies, and More Made with Real Butter, Sugar, Flour, and Eggs
Makes 16 to 18 cookies
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
scant half cup granulated sugar
scant half cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup organic thomson raisins
1/2 cup pecans
1 large egg at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Set the racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven.
2. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and granulated sugar till light and fluffy. Add the brown sugar, followed by the egg and the vanilla extract and beat until mixed well.
3. Add all the flour mixture and stir until just incorporated. Mix in the oatmeal, raisin and pecan mixture till it is evenly incorporated into the flour mixture.
4. Line two large sheet pans with Silpat or parchment. Using a small cookie measure, scoop out the batter and place it on the lined cookie sheet at one inch intervals. Lightly pat the top of each scoop with the back of a fork to flatten it slightly. Place one sheet on the upper rack and the other on the lower rack. Bake for 12 minutes rotating the racks halfway through baking from top to bottom and front to back to ensure even baking. The cookies will have lightly golden tops and sides but will still be soft to the touch.
5. Cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets. Remove and cool completely on baking racks. Store in an airtight container.
Note: The cookies remain moist for at least a week. The best way to keep the moisture is to keep a slice of white bread in the cookie tin and layer them with butter paper. Once the bread is dry, it needs to be replaced by another fresh slice.