It is an extremely simple dish - the time consuming part is making sure the greens have no remnants of soil. The greens are finely chopped and sauteed with radish and shrimp, flavored with nigella seeds and a dry red chili.
Sauteed radish greens with shrimp
2 large red radish - about 1/2 cup chopped
4 large shrimp, cleaned and cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds
1 small dried red chili pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Wash the radish greens well to remove any soil that might be sticking to it. Drain and chop them finely.
- Was the radish and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Heat a large saute pan with canola oil. When the oil is hot add the dry red chili and the nigella seeds. As soon as the seeds pop, add the chopped greens and toss them.
- After a minute, add the chopped radish and the salt. Mix well. Cook covered over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes depending on how tender the greens are.
- Now add the chopped shrimp and sugar. and cook till the shrimp turns pink.
- Serve with hot steamed rice. (Tastes great with a dash of kasundi mustard sauce)
Serves 4 as a first course