A few simple ingredients, no work on the stove is a perfect way to cook these days, since life has been too busy otherwise.
Roasted eggplants, spiked with tahini ( a sesame seed paste), garlic, lemon and parsley with a final drizzle of extra virgin olive oil - it is as easy as that. If you are able to roast the eggplants over an open flame, the smokiness acquired by the eggplant add additional flavor. It is important to use good quality tahini for this dish as it is a very strong flavor and could completely change the flavor of the dish if not of good quality.
2 tablespoons tahini
4 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 small clove of garlic minced
1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Wash the eggplant and make a few slits but not all the way through. Place on a foil lined baking tray and place the tray in the middle rack of the oven. Roast for 45 to 60 minutes depending on the size of the eggplant. The skin should start to shrivel and peel off easily. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, peel the eggplant and place in a food processor along with the minced garlic and pulse a few times till the eggplant is almost a puree. Add the tahini, salt and lemon juice and pulse a few times. Now add 1 tablespoon olive and pulse a couple more times. Finally add two tablespoons of parsley and pulse till there are green flecks remaining.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Before serving, stir in 2 tablespoons of minced parsley and drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve with warm pita bread.